Chard - Estate Agents, Valuers & Property Consultants in London

Why the need and who needs one?

The Government is keen to ensure home-owners act responsibly when it comes to making their home energy efficient, given nearly 40% of the UKís energy consumption comes from lighting and heating the nationís 25 million homes and offices.

So all UK home-owners are legally obliged to have an Energy Performance Certificate (or EPC) before marketing begins on their house or flat. That way people are made aware of just how much fuel a property uses.This relates to properties of all sizes, regardless of the number of bedrooms, whether the property is to sale or to let, and whether itís commercial or residential.

Once obtained, an EPC lasts ten years. Tenanted properties will only require a certificate once the tenancy comes to an end, and prior to new tenants moving in. However if your property is currently empty or will be soon, now is an ideal time to get your EPC done.

Chard can do it all for you

Our Domestic Energy Assessors (DEAs) have been trained by a Government approved scheme, and offer a first class energy assessment service Ė not only for all Chard customers but for any landlord or seller who needs an EPC.

They work swiftly to deliver your EPC promptly, often the day after they visited the property.

They will draw up the certificates for clients who instruct us to sell their home, so anyone selling or letting through Chard has a complete package on offer, cutting the cost, time and headaches for sellers.

So what's an EPC?

Itís basically a certificate attached to your propertyís details which says how energy efficient your house or flat is. One of our DEAS will visit your home and assess your property. This generally takes around 30 minutes, but this may vary slightly depending on the size of the property.

Properties are graded from A (the most energy efficient) to G (the least), and an energy graph is attached to the property details, giving the potential buyer a general overview of a propertyís energy efficiency. The EPC will also make recommendations about ways to save energy on your home, such as insulation and double-glazing.A copy of the EPC must be kept on file and made available to all interested parties, including potential buyers and tenants.

While the recommendations within the EPC are voluntary and not a legal requirement, failure to provide an EPC can result in a fine from trading standards.

So whether youíre a seller or a landlord, with one phone call to Chard we can organise all your energy assessment needs. 

To organise an EPC for your property, or for more information about EPC legislation call 020 8487 3151